E.Journal as a part of my course ICTs for Learning Design in the GDLT.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Using Picnik

Picnik is a an online application much like the computer programs Adobe Photoshop, FireWorks, PaintShop Pro and Corel Paint. Picnik however is a free tool that does not even require a registration to the site, although registration is free and easy! Although the abilities of the program are fewer in Picnik, the capability of the program is fast, easy and accessible from any computer connected to the internet!

Although I do already own Photoshop, I have begun to play around with Picnik. The site is easy to navigate and very simple compared to other photo editing software. After taking 30 seconds to create my account, I uploaded a photo to explore the capabilities of the site. I am impressed. I am even able to 'Gooify' my pictures. This is one thing I did to the second one - note the eyes. :D

Before
(Photo courtesy of Flickr)

After
(Photo courtesy of Flickr)

Picnik doesn't store the files for you but it is possible to save them to a computer or upload them from the site straight to a Flickr account (see previous post). After resizing and cropping a photo (so easily) I click on the Save and Share tab. I can either save the file straight onto my computer of upload it onto my Flickr. The file I was playing with can be seen here. It used to be a full screen High definition photo. Now it is much smaller. :D

Using Picnik in the Classroom
Using Picnik to manipulate images (changing colours, sizes and effects of existing photos and pictures) is a powerful way to empower students. An idea that I would like to test out is this: Give students a picture/photo to upload into Picnik and allow them to manipulate it in order to highlight a certain point of view. For example, providing a photo of a city and asking students to manipulate it to show what they think about cities. They may enlarge the photo to show cities are big, brighten the photo with crazy colours or neon lights to show that cities are buzzing with excitement or they may take all the colour out of the photo to show that cities are polluted. There are many different points of view and all students should be able to highlight an aspect to suit their own perspective. Even students at a young age could use simple elements of this site.


Engaging Learners
Learning Engagement Theory (Keirsley and Schneiderman) identifies the need for students to engage with relevant learning materials and projects, developing student choice. When students are able to decide on a particular direction for their learning, they are able to make connections between the content and the relevance to their life. This tool is engaging and also encourages the use of complex thinking in order to express a particular meaning through a picture.


Happy editing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment :D