E.Journal as a part of my course ICTs for Learning Design in the GDLT.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Using ICTs to Support & Enhance Learning




Entering the course ICTs for Learning Design this semester, I knew a bit about using the internet for personal recreation and how to find my way around the web. Being a regular Google searcher, facebook junkie, myspace user (for my music website), email reliant, online shopper etc. I am well aware of proper netiquette and how to get what I need out of my computer!

So to extend my knowledge as a part of the course I created a professional blog here on Blogger, a Wiki through WetPaint, a professional teaching e.portfolio through Mahara CQU and an RSS aggregator through GoogleReader to manage my blog subscriptions.

I found the process of setting up these new technologies straightforward and simple with one exception for Mahara which I accidently signed up for the wrong account...  outside of the CQU domain.  Oops... But all has been resolved through a quick email.

Blogs for Learners
I had heard about blogs before. How they were useful for writing up personal web logs and information on various topics.  I had even read some but had never considered the possibility that I would create one for educational purposes. I began thinking about how blogs can be used for my education and reflection. My blog would become a great place to express ideas, reflect on my learning and interact with fellow bloggers (students and other influences). Blogs would be important for not only my educational purposes but for the students I would eventually be teaching. The ease in setting up a blog and commenting on others is very encouraging when thinking about Primary aged students as well as Secondary. Obviously the content in the blog would change with audience but the ease and usability would remain.

The accessibility of a blog would be of use in everyday classroom activities and also for directing learning for assessment. As a teacher I would be able to provide clear instructions, links and useful content for my learners to develop high quality work through both independent and collaborative learning situations. Ease of communication through commenting, reflecting and personal blogging would allow students to provide feedback for their peers, receive appropriate answers and for teachers to monitor what work is being completed and the quality of it.

Scot Aldred, our lecturer for this course provided a perfect example of a blog used to tutor a Math student, allowing more time to complete activities without face to face contact. Commenting and reflection are key to effective communication.

Also, this example of a child's creative writing are displayed in a blog. Children take pride in their work especially when it will be published. Blogs can be shared or kept private, so showcasing student work may be effective in the learning process.

The following website makes some great points about using blogger in the classroom.

RSS Aggregators 
Creating my RSS aggregator was an easy process because I already had a Google account. Therefore, using GoogleReader  seemed to be the most obvious choice. RSS aggregators basically collect all the blog information from the blogs you wish to follow (keep up to date with) and send it to you, instead of having to check for new material yourself! I didn't know this was possible, being new to blogging myself. But this makes it even more easier to manage.
For more information on how this works see the video:


Wiki's for Learners
Similar to blogging, Wikis provide a great online resource for learners. My initial thought when setting up my own Wiki was that using Wikis for student projects requiring collaboration and all student input would be perfect. You may have used or heard about a massive Wiki called Wikipedia.  This site is basically a collaboration of knowledge to provide worldwide info. Very much like an online encyclopedia. Students could create their own mini informative websites, use Wikis as portfolios - showcasing work and assessment journeys. A great thing about Wikis is that they provide an environment where sharing and learning is the focus. I would suggest that using Wikis and blogs to stimulate learning encourages communities of learners to interact, share tools and provide constructive feedback.



All online resources can be used as effectively, if not more, as those we are familiar with in schools. (Books, pencils, etc.) The question about effective learning remains the same - the tools should not be used for the sake of it.... learners should be provided with purposeful learning experiences as demonstrated in Dales Cone. If students see and understand the importance of the tasks, they will be able to dive deeper into the learning experience. The online community of learning would be very effective in the Relate, Create, Donate aspects of Greg Kearsley and Ben Shneiderman's Learning Engagement Theory.

It has been a very interesting and exciting learning journey so far. I am excited to see what technologies will inspire me next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment :D